Be Careful!

Well, the title might sound scary but this is what I want to share with you all...

I think we must be (really) careful with what we watch, what we see, what we hear and even what we  read. Lately I feel that the songs that are playing on the radio emphasize on sex, (earthly) love and things like that. I'm not saying that we should turn off ourselves from the outside world. It's impossible to do that. But, I'm trying to say BE CAREFUL. We must be intentional with what we watch and listen to. The other day I had the intention to watch The Big Bang Theory because I needed some good laughs. But apparently, there was a scene that led to sexual things. It caught me off my guard! I am writing this to you because I know that having a clean and holy thought is not something that happens to us naturally. Sometimes we must CHOOSE the things that we want to think of. This is impossible to do by ourselves. We need God's grace to do this. I can tell you that there are so many people out there struggling with unholy thoughts yet they do not know where to go for help. Beside that, they feel too shameful to ask for a help. It's never too shameful to talk about this stuff. What shameful is when we deny this thing and keep doing the same sin.. Friends, you are not in this journey alone. I believe that men and women in the Bible also struggled with sexual thoughts. Remember David? He wasn't careful enough. He accidentally saw Bathsheba bathing and instead of turning around, he lusted after her. In this era, there are so many things that can arouse us: songs on the radio, scenes from a TV show even TV ads! I know this might sound extreme, but before you feel like you need to, stop watching Hollywood (or related) movies/listening to secular music from now. Don't get me wrong, I'm a singer/songwriter and I listen to all kinds of music including secular music. But, I just feel like secular music nowadays emphasize more on 'sexual thing'. I.e: Versace on The Floor by Bruno Mars, Starving by Hailee Steinfeld, Closer by The Chainsmokers, and many more. I actually do not like to differentiate secular and non-secular music. For me, music is music. However, the lyric that goes with the music has such a big substantial impact on the listeners. The same thing goes to movies, it's hard to find "clean" secular movies nowadays! Even if they don't have sexual scenes, there might be a sexual joke. This blog is not written to discourage you. Instead, it's written to encourage you to be careful. There's nothing wrong with being careful. There's nothing wrong with being cautious with what you hear or see. Even the apostle Paul said in Philippians 4:8  "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things". How can we think about such things if we do not watch/listen to such things? I hope you got my point. It's okay to be careful. Do not think that you're weird. I once unfollowed some Hollywood couples on my Instagram because I wanted to be careful with my mind. Purity goes beyond skin deep. It's also about guarding your heart & thought. I can say to you that although I've never ever been kissed, there were times that I didn't keep my mind & heart pure. Guys & girls, I feel you.. Sometimes we wonder if our future  husband/wife is worth waiting for or not? We even wonder if we would ever get married or not.. but remember, this is more than just about marriage, this is about loving and glorifying God with our body. Even when we have never had sex but when we masturbate, that's also a sin. This is the thing that sounds taboo to many people, but, I want to talk about all of this because I don't want us to be deceived by the devil. I want to say that it's okay to talk about this stuff.. I'm not here to judge you but I'm here to help you. I'm here to help you differentiate which one is right and which one is not. Sometimes the devil put lies inside us by saying that "it's okay to do that sin, it's not even a sin". On the opposite, he says "it's not okay to ask for help to someone". So silly right?! the devil likes to turn the truth upside down. There is no grey area. A sin is a sin. However, God's grace and love is bigger than our sin. I want to show that kind of love and grace. If you have failed, God's grace is there to pick you up. I do believe that God's grace is free but it doesn't mean that God's grace is cheap. It was given through the blood of His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Friends, I can keep on writing about this.. I can keep on going on why we have to be careful. The devil is always at work. He will always puts lies inside of us. But one thing we can do, we can be careful. If you know that you can (I use "can" not "are", which means it applies to everyone of us)  be distracted by unholy thoughts then be careful with what you watch and listen to. Listen to songs that will lift you up: Bethel music, Hillsong, Planetshakers (I'm just naming a few of my favorite worshippers). For movies: to be honest, it's hard to find a clean and good movie so maybe you can find enjoyment by reading Children books (I love children books like The Diary of A Wimpy Kid, Calvin & Hobbes, etc). We can do all things through Christ, that's including being careful! :)

Comments

Popular Posts